Sunday, October 6, 2013

Father

   This weekend I've noticed something different, about the way I spend my free time. I've spent a lot of time with my father recently, but it's not like we go out or do stuff together much, quite the contrary, my father goes out almost every friday, if not friday then saturday. While I tend to stay home, occasionally going out with friends. Technically it should be the opposite, but I'm not focusing on that at the moment.
   No, recently we've been spending more time together, doing simple things- talking, debating, watching tv, complaining. Simple things that may not mean much, but we seem to be closer then we were before. I think it's because subconsciously we're holding on to what family we have left near us. Afraid we're going to lose each other next. Although, if I'm asked this I'd probably deny it and it's natural for a father to want to spend time with his kid.
   He used to always try to get my brother and I out- for a walk, to the beach, a restaurant, the city, anything. Now we sit on our couches and watch a show or the news while eating breakfast, talk about or days and any topic that comes to mind. I can say it's been a long time since I felt content. This weekend that's what I feel. I didn't do anything amazing or exciting or thrilling, but I had a good weekend. It's been a long time since I've felt this way. I like it.
   He's a strange man. He want's to see the world before it's too late. He's not a fan of work, but has two jobs. Name a movie and he's probably seen it at least three times. If it's cold he'll be sure to get sick twice or more. His appearance makes everyone think he's younger then he really is, but he's still terrified of getting old, even if he doesn't say it out loud. He loves ginger tea with honey, but not too sweet. His eyes show a man that has worked to get to where he is. He's made plenty of mistakes, but they all lead him to america. Where there he made more until he married, had children, returned, then saw his family split in two.
   We had a talk not to long about about how his life could have looked like if he'd never gone to america. He'd have probably started his own business like his friends. Make a decent amount of money, be married to a different women then he is now, and have different kids then he does now. His english wouldn't be as good and he wouldn't know how to drive without hands. He also wouldn't be doing what he does today and I think that out-weights all the other reasons. I find that what he does is amazing and really interesting. It's not often you can see someone do what he does.
   My father is a man with many flaws- he's lazy, stubborn, angers easily, has little patience, drinks too much with his friends, can be vengeful, hateful and mean, but there's more to him then just his flaws. Underneath that you find a man who loves with his whole heart, when you earn his trust you have it till the end, he's truthful, helpful, caring and understanding. There's more that I don't even know about, because I'm just getting to know him- my own father- who I've lived with for so many years and would never have known so much about him, until the split.
   My father told me something his close friend said to him, his friend said he was jealous of how well we get along, because his daughter is older then me, but they have more troubling talking with each other. Maybe they have trouble being open with each other, although I don't tell my father everything. He doesn't know about this for example, but everyone has their secrets. Anyway my dad was surprised when he learned of this, hell even I was when I heard it, because before I thought it was normal for kids to get to know their parent(s). To spend time with them and all that, but no it's not. My father asked around his other friends and it turned out it was just us. This strange friend-father-daughter relationship we have is unique.
   It's strange I thought my father and I would drift after I came back, but we seemed to get closer together. My father, thankful to have at least one kid back, and me, well I'm just glade to be back. I may be a bit more rough around the edges then when I left, a few chipped pieces her and there, but I'm still somewhat whole, kinda. Maybe that's why we get along better, because we're all we have left.
Maybe, I'll see you around.  
       

No comments:

Post a Comment