Monday, March 7, 2016

Garden Albino

    When I opened my eyes I felt weightless, as if I was in the air. Looking down I found that I was in the sky, but more precisely I was flying in the sky. Such a strange dream I think as I continue to soar through the clouds. Enjoying the wind wrap around my body and carry me endlessly forward. Despite my light hearted dream my conscious felt heavy and as soon as I registered this I felt myself fall. Where seconds ago I was soaring now I seemed to be falling.
    I wasn't scared though, for I knew this was a dream and no harm could come to me, physically at least. It seemed I was headed towards the sea. My nose only managed to recognize the salty smell before I was suddenly engulfed by the waves. My body seemed to weigh a ton as I just continued to sink. Fear started to settle in me and I had to remind myself that this was a dream and thus I could breath underwater. I closed my eyes for a moment to calm myself, remind myself that this was a dream and I could awaken at any time. When I opened them again I found myself surrounded by darkness. Still falling, although it only lasted for another moment.
    Suddenly my body seemed to smack into solid ground. The hit literally took my breath away and I found myself heaving on the floor.I must have fazed through the water. I wish I could wake up. Standing I started to walk in a random direction, humming to myself to pass the time. It took me a few moments to realize where I was. The sewers. The same sewers from one of my past dreams. I have to start running. Who knows how long I have till it starts chasing me again.
    My surroundings started to look familiar and I avoided looking at the ladder that would bring me to the stadium. It's just a dream, You'll be fine just keep running. I ignore the sounds starting up behind me. The hissing, that sounded like laughter. The shiver of fear crawling through me. Ignore it. Ignore it. None of this is real. Just keep running.
    Finally I happen upon an old metal door. Seeing no end to the sewers I chance the door and run through, only to find a huge garden. It was filled with fauna, flowers, trees and bushes. All of it overflowing, as if it was trying to consume the land. I started to make my way through it. There has to be a way out of here. I push through some bushes, acquiring a few cuts that I ignore, only to find myself in a clearing. That seemed to have no way out.
    No, no, no, no, no! There has to be a way out! I'm not going to let this thing defeat me again! Calm yourself. I took a deep breath and looked at my surroundings. What could I use to protect myself? The only thing I could find seemed to be a rose bush with long, thin, flexible vines and sharp thorns. I broke a few off. Ignoring the stinging in my hands and wrapped them around my fists. they weren't the best, but they would do. I closed my eyes and waited. It had the upper hand here despite its pale body, so I would wait for the snake. It's coming for me anyways.
    I waited till I heard the rustling of leaves and counted to three before sharply turning around punching whatever was behind me. Satisfaction ran through me as I heard a pained hiss. I only managed to catch a glimpse of its retreating tail though. So I closed my eyes again and waited. When I heard the rustling again I prepared myself  to strike once more. This time I missed and the attack came from the front, not the back. I muffled my scream as I felt the snake bite into my shoulder and I did my best to kick it off and give it a few punches. Again it retreated.
    I hate this cat and mouse game. Why can't I just wake up? I focused on the sounds around me, but instead of hissing I hear something worse- his voice. He's speaking to me! What no! He can't be here! Damn it not again! I won't let it end like this again. But I start to hear him scream and I can't stop myself from running towards that noise. This is of course it's plan and my downfall for as soon as I get to the edge of the clearing I find myself wrapped up in bone white coils with two pale eyes smirking back at me. His screams can be heard in the distance and I struggle against my binds. Forgetting that this is all a dream, a nightmare. That this isn't real. The last thing I hear is the crunching of bones and darkness consumes me again.
    My eyes snap open and I gasp for breath, struggling to sit upright, trying to remind myself that it was only a dream and that this is real. This is reality. I look to the sleeping body just feet away from me and my heart calms when I see his even breaths. My mind blocks the screams I heard moments before and I let out a breath. It was just a dream. I curl back under the covers and can't help but settle myself as close as possible to the body next to me. It isn't until I feel his heat that I'm fully calmed and I allow myself to relax.
    Do you know how many nightmare of mine you star in? Of course you don't, because I never tell you. I keep everything bottled up inside me, because I'm afraid of so many things.That monster that I'm running from and fighting is a personification of all those fears. It keeps me from being fully honest with you. It keeps me from allowing myself to touch you more. To hug you and kiss you whenever I wish. To just text you or talk to you. It, no I hold myself back because of this stupid fear. I wish I wasn't afraid.
 I'm such a coward. 
         

No comments:

Post a Comment