Saturday, September 26, 2015

Something to say

     I look upon the building that will be my home away from home for the next five years. It's an old red bricked building, but it looks some what cosy from the outside at least. Away from major streets with very little noise pollution and what seems to be a garden in the back.
     'Enough stalling,' I think making my way inside only to be greeted by an abundance of noise. 'These walls must be really thick if I was unable to hear any of this from the outside.' I shake my head making my way towards the stairs, 'It also explains why this is in such a remote location.'
    While on the staircase I do my best to avoid the rowdy college kids making there way through the building. Everyone seemed to be either exploring or meeting up with friends. 'I just want to get to my room,' I sigh again finally arriving on the third floor, somewhat amazed I hadn't managed to trip myself or someone else.
    'Now where is number 37?' I make an immediate left once I get off the stairs and end up making an almost full circle before finding my room. 'Should have made a right, well at least it's a corner room. Giving the illusion of more privacy.' I put in my keys and unlock the door and as a precaution knock before opening them. Since no one said anything I walk right in, only to stop dead in my tracks.
    There was a girl or more like a women standing near the only window in the tiny room. What surprised me though was my resemblance to her. She was obviously older, maybe in her final year, with scruffy short brown hair with blue tips. Her outfit consisted of dark grey pants, a black t-shirt with some silly drawing on it and a deep green bandanna around her neck. I unabashedly stared at her, until finally she broke the silence. "Hello, it's nice to meet you." She gave a small smile, but didn't extend her hand or give her name, so I just nodded my head and gave a small wave. 'Well this is going to be extremely weird.'
     "So, we are roommates for the year?" I ask as I set my stuff on the unclaimed bed.
     "Oh, no we aren't," the girl smiled sadly, "I'm just here to give you some advice to help you get through these next few years."
"Ugh, thanks I guess." Slightly irritated, 'I'm getting sick of people offering me friendly advice.'
    The women seems to sense my irritation as she gives me another smile, "Don't worry this won't take up any of your time and I won't be giving you some long winded speech about how great this school is. Besides your roommate can barge in at any moment and I'd hate to be interrupted." With this she gave a small wink and I just rolled my eyes, this only made the girl giggle as if my reaction was intended.
    Suddenly, the atmosphere turned serious and the girl looked straight into my eyes as she spoke. "These next few years are going to be tough. There will be moments where you want to give up and just go home. I understand that. You'll have days where you'll break down and do things that will make you hate yourself in the morning. I understand that too, I've gone through it all. Just remember to forgive yourself. Don't stay angry, sad or quiet the whole time. It will be ok. After these five years you will have just a few more amazing ones. The most important thing to remember is to explore, try new things and don't stay cooped up in here all the time. These next five years will be the most freedom filled, even if it won't feel like that sometimes, trust me they are. So use the freedom you have. Or else when the time comes you will regret it sorely."
     With that she gave a bitter smile and seemed to want to say something else, but was interrupted when another female barged into the room. I looked at the new girl and looked back to where the women was standing, only to find her gone. This puzzled me, but I didn't have a moment to linger on it for too long since my roommate immediately started talking to me.
    "Oh, hey! You must be my roommate! I'm Alex a second year. I hope we get along well." We shook hands after I introduced myself and then I started to unpack my things. Alex just ran back out into the hallway. 'Well she's full of energy, at least it won't be boring around here.'
    Literally a minute had passed before Alex barged in again grabbed my hand and started pulling me out of the room, "Come on we are going to get a beer with some of my friends." I shrug my shoulders and follow along, 'why not, it's not like we have classes tomorrow.' Unconsciously taking the strange woman's advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment